Choosing Linen Fabric for Curtains
Linen is a popular choice for curtains due to its natural look, durability, and ability to hang beautifully. We have compiled a list of considerations that will be helpful when choosing linen for curtains:
1. Weight and Texture: Linen comes in various weights and textures. Heavier linens drape more elegantly and provide better light blocking, while lighter linens create an airy feel and breezy look, and also allow more light to filter through. Consider the desired ambiance and functionality of the room.
2. Lining and light: Linen curtains can be lined or unlined. Lining adds weight, provides better light control, and can increase the curtain's lifespan by protecting the fabric from sunlight. Unlined linen curtains offer a more relaxed and breezy look, allowing soft and diffused light to enter.
3. Colour and Pattern: Our linen bases are dyed and printed with our exclusive range of unique patterns and designs. If you are unsure about what colour or pattern to choose you can email us a picture of your room, and window or area wishing to hang drapery or curtains in, and we can send you back some suggested designs to kick start your creative decisions (this is free service that Australiana Fabrics offers), to hep you choose. You can also purchase samples in any of our fabrics and pattern designs to help you decide on the perfect custom curtains for your room.
Another design point to consider are the room's colour scheme and whether you want the curtains to blend in or stand out as a focal point. Don't forget to think of scatter cushions too. Our linen fabrics are perfect to sew coordinating scatter cushions and throw pillows.
4. Trend or classical curtain design? At Australiana Fabrics we adore the sophistication of timeless and classical prints of the Victorian Era, as well as modern and fresh 'on trend' designs that incorporate current trends, such as the pantone colour of the year 2024. We also also pride ourselves on bringing you fresh and modern Australiana prints that not only give your spaces a nod to their heritage, but also a timeless modern elegance.
5. Maintenance: Lighter linen curtain fabrics can wrinkle easily, which adds to its natural charm but might require more maintenance. Decide if you're comfortable with that more natural look, or if you prefer fabrics that are less likely to wrinkle or crease. We stock medium to heavy weight linens for curtains, and they drape beautifully for a naturally elegant, yet polished look. We also stock a gorgeous medium weight linen and cotton blend fabric, that is made just for curtains and interiors: it has all the beauty of natural linen, but has also all the easy maintenance and durability of cotton added.
6. Room Type: Linen curtains work well in various spaces, including living rooms, bedrooms, and dining areas. They add a touch of elegance to formal spaces and a relaxed feel to casual rooms.
7. Allergies: Linen is hypoallergenic and resistant to dust and bacteria, making it a suitable choice for those with allergies or sensitivities.
8. Budget: Linen curtains can vary in price based on quality and weight of the fabric. All of our linens, and our linen cotton blend are a premium quality and will give a luxe feel to your room and your spaces.
9. Samples: Before purchasing linen curtains, it's helpful to get samples and see how they look in the room's lighting conditions. You can reach out to us to request curtain fabric samples any time and we are happy ti assist you. Also, consider if you prefer ready-made curtains or custom-made ones tailored to your specifications. Ultimately, selecting linen curtains involves a balance between functionality, aesthetics, and personal preferences.
See our linen curtain fabric specifications here.